Contacted surgeon about seroma

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Dr. Streeter said that there should be no reason for concern with swelling this late after amputation as long as he is acting OK and does not have a fever.  I advised her via phone conversation that it was VERY swollen and oozing, but she assured me as long as fluid is pink and clear, no worries.  I almost wanted to hear she would advise a drain because it looks just terrible, but I know she knows best.  So, for now, we will press on with the warm compresses and washing LOTS of towels!  :o)  Sarge got to lay in the sunshine and munch on his venison leg this afternoon.  He really seems to be in great spirits.  It is kind of funny when the vet(s) asks about his energy level…. he has ALWAYS been a very low activity boy.  We even screened him for thyroid disease at one point because I have never had such a chill young dog before.  I just say he is his typical “lethargic self”.  :o)

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

Author: c1nicolei

Sarge has been the the love of my life since we rescued him in 2007. He was thought to be a carcass on the side of the road in our community park. As I walked over to look at the pitiful dead dog, I soon realized he was still breathing, barely. We rushed him to the vet and although severely malnourished and in a terrible state, with TLC he miraculously pulled through. Snap shot ahead to 6/2014, we decide to go outside to play fetch, he was so excited and full of energy, doing his typical bouncy boxer pelvic shuffle. He took a nasty tumble and the sounds that followed was nothing short of heart piercing. My heart stopped, because I knew it was bad, very bad. I am a PA, not a veterinarian, but I knew instantly the leg was broken badly. I splinted him and rushed him to the vet. What initially was going to be an orthopedic surgery to repair a broken radius and ulna, quickly turned into, "Your dog sustained a pathological cancer, we think he has osteosarcoma". I could not even hear what I was being told. How could this seemingly happy, healthy, FULL of life dog have CANCER?? The BX confirmed my worst fears. This whole process took over a week. In that time I researched every aspect of canine osteosarcoma I could find and I had already made up my mind, we were going to fight this, not for me, but I knew he was not done living!!! Making the decision to amputate was not one taken lightly. We ensured there were no macro mets and that his blood work looked stable. I also decided if we amputated we would also do chemo. Sarge had his leg amputated 2 days ago and I am amazed at his hour by hour improvement. We start chemo in 2 weeks. I will keep everyone updated and love reading stories on here that give me hope that he will be able to be a happy, pain free normal Sarge!!! This is when we joined TRIPAWDS! What a wonderful, reassuring supportive community! I love you TRIPAWDS!

3 thoughts on “Contacted surgeon about seroma”

  1. Nicole, if your gut instinct is telling you there is a problem, do not hesitate to get another opinion. If anything it will bring you peace of mind knowing that two professionals agreed that it’s nothing to worry about.

  2. Okay, that sounds like a good update then!

    I know not stinking and fairly colorless fluids are all “good”.

    Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion if you continue to feel unsettled. Follow your gut always!

    Why be energetic when you can be a couch potato and get loving and spoiling without exerting any energy!

    Keep us updated! Would love a picture of your pup in the sunshine! Hint ! !


    Sally and Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *